LATEST ABC FIGURES SHOW THE ECONOMIST’S CONTINUED GROWTH IN DIGITAL SALES AND FOCUS ON CIRCULATION PROFITABILITY
February 9, 2017 - London - With today’s release of the ABC July to December 2016 certificates, The Economist showed continued growth in digital sales, strong worldwide circulation, and a commitment to circulation profitability.
- Digital subscriptions up 13.7% worldwide yoy
- Worldwide (print + digital) circulation remains strong at 1,459,974
- Actively purchased worldwide rate steady at 84.6%; in the UK it is at a record high of 96%
- UK edition digital sales up 8.5% yoy
- Gross profit from Circulation up 20% at mid-year according to The Economist Group Interim 2016 Report
- Social audiences grew 25.9% yoy
“For some time we have been pursuing a determined commitment to growing circulation profitability. We have more than doubled our circulation profits in recent years simply by showing our globally curious audience that we can meet their demand for trustworthy, rigorously researched journalism. This has been coupled with a highly efficient development of new audiences through distribution of our content across multiple social media platforms which we go on to efficiently convert through award-winning digital marketing. said Michael Brunt, Chief Marketing Officer and Managing Director of circulation at The Economist.
“We are not immune to the structural declines in traditional advertising budgets, and have diversified our media services, but our future is now underpinned by unprecedented growth in subscription profitability,” continued Brunt.
- The Economist latest Worldwide Brand Report and all audit certificates are available for download at abc.org.uk.
You may view the Worldwide Brand Report here: http://www.abc.org.uk/Certificates/48621708.pdf
- The Economist Group Interim 2016 Report is available at: http://www.economistgroup.com/pdfs/Interim_report_2016_FINAL.pdf
The Economist sister publication 1843 circulation remained stable at 461K worldwide. The Worldwide Brand Report and audit certificates for 1843 are available for download at www.abc.org.uk
Holly Donahue at firstname.lastname@example.org/ +44 (0)20 7576 8379
Tom Amos at email@example.com/212.554.0583
About The Economist (www.economist.com)
With a growing global circulation and a reputation for insightful analysis and perspective on every aspect of world events, The Economist is one of the most widely recognised and well-read current affairs publications. The paper covers politics, business, science and technology, and books and arts, concluding each week with the obituary. In addition to the web-only content such as blogs, debates and audio/video programmes available at economist.com, The Economist is available to download for reading on Android, Blackberry PlayBook, iPhone or iPad devices. The Economist Espresso, our daily briefing smartphone app, is also available for download via iTunes App Store or Google Play.